23things: (Default)
[personal profile] 23things
Yes, I've been absent for awhile, but two cross-country moves and caring for a dying parent will do that to you.

Onward to Flickr!

I have a Flickr account.  I created it in August 2006, but I have yet to upload a single photo.  I think I created it to view photos from a friend.  I use Photobucket as my online photo repository, though I think Flickr is equally as good.  I haven't done a detailed comparative analysis of the two, however, so I may migrate when I do.

But I'm a little concerned about Flickr.

According to the wiki, "CNET reported that Yahoo was on the verge of a major layoff affecting 10%-20% of its workforce. Flickr was specifically named as a target for these layoffs."

Flickr is so popular, I'm a bit surprised they're cutting it back.  What will that mean to users?  Will it have any effect on them at all?  What will happen when Flickr no longer exists?  I think this is something that people don't consider.  Will these online repositories exist in the years to come?  I don't think it is realistic to assume that they will.  We live in the midst of constant change, which makes me hesitate to invest a great deal of time (or data) into such places (but not to the point of not investing at all).  I think we face the same problem with Google Books.  Google won't always exist, and the libraries that are investing in Google's proprietary book scanning service are doing no one but Google a favor.  But that's a post for another time.

I do think photo sharing sites can be of great use in libraries.  This article is a good indication of that (though see below for caveat).

Well... I've uploaded my first photo to Flickr, but since DW isn't one of the blogging services supported by Flickr, I can't link the accounts.  But I understand the concept.  It makes things easier for certain.

My favorite Flickr capability is the geotagging.  That's just cool.  I traveled to Florence, Italy, and took oodles of pictures that I could geotag down to the street corner (and I may do that just for fun).  And I joined a Flickr group for libraries.

I'm supposed to discuss some ways that "you can use Flickr or other photo-sharing site both professionally and personally?"  But according to the article above, Flickr is to be used only in a personal capacity, not a professional one, and Flickr has blocked accounts that violated these terms.  Of course, the article above also gives tips on how to deceive Flickr into believing that you have a personal account when in fact it is a professional account, so I can't say I'm too impressed with that.  I'd recommend that a library use something other than Flickr (or any other service that specifically prohibits its use in a professional manner).  I don't think it speaks well to SLA's character that they recommend articles that tell you how to circumvent restrictions.  Perhaps I'm being silly or picky, but it's the little things that matter.

Up next: Mashups!

Profile

23things: (Default)
23things

October 2011

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819 202122
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios